- Primary usage of Adobe Illustrator CS5 with some Photoshop CS5
Illustrator Requirements in order of priority 01 = highest
- - Ability to create posters and layouts by using a combination of the basic tools within Illustrator
- - Creating Type
- - Understanding and how to utilise the character tools such as paragraph, vertical & horizontal type spacing (kernelling)
- - Understanding the use of stroke, transparency, alignment etc
- - Understanding and how to utilise type tools such as TABS to correctly align in a column e.g. prices for a restaurant menu
- - Applying effects and filters to type and objects such as drop shadows, glow etc
- - Placing photos and images
- - Clipping photos and images to set shapes / sizes
- - Creating pre-set shapes such as squares, rectangles, circles, ovals and star bursts
- - Utilizing stock images and stock illustration patterns
- - Drawing custom shapes and Bezier curves using the drawing / pen tool (used when drawing logos from scratch, tracing the shape and features of a car etc, see example http://www.khulsey.com/adobe-illustrator-paths-pen-tool.html)
- - Understanding and competent use of the gradient tool for use with backgrounds and effects blended into shapes and letter styles
- - Understanding of pathfinder tool used to clip and create various shapes
- - Understanding of editable versus saved for print with all text converted to curves/outlines, what bleed and trim marks mean and how to save documents with bleed and trim marks
Photoshop Requirements in order of priority 01 = highest
01 - Understanding of image size and canvas size e.g. how to size images and crop canvas area to present the best frame of content.
02 - Ability to trace/cut objects e.g. a person out of background and save as PSD or PNG with transparent background.
03 - Knowledge of the uses and benefits of jpg - gif - png - psd.
04 - Understanding the various functions and benefits of FILE SAVE - FILE SAVE AS - FILE SAVE FOR WEB-jpg/gif/png.
05 - Understanding on adjustments to levels, brightness, contrast, colour e.t.c to lift the appearance of an image.
06 - Knowledge of effects such as Gaussian blur, motion blur and how to apply to create various effects.
07 - Knowledge of how to use brush tool for colouring in of an area or covering over unwanted blemishes within an image.
08 - Understanding of clone tool to correct blemishes and add/fill extended areas such as creating a wider image of a sky with clouds e.t.c., extending more grass within a picture of a plot.
09 - Ability to use erase tool with brushes to fade images and create transition from solid image to transparent.
10 - Understanding usage of BATCH and Actions. How to apply an automated action to a single file or how to apply/batch an action to a folder of files.
OPTIONAL (Preferred) Dreamweaver Requirements in order of priority 01 = highest
- - Must know how to define a site and what that term means and how it relates to linking to images.
- - Must know how to add text and format the look and feel using bold, italic, font, size e.t.c
- - Must have the ability to hyperlink text and images, to be able to make open in same or new window eg _blank
- - Must have an understanding of how to create and modify tables, merge cells, format content alignment left right centre, top, bottom middle e.t.c
- - Experience and understanding of styling using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) how to apply style sheets to a webpage or entire website to style text and images, table etc. be able to create and edit existing style.css & menu.css files.
Welcomed Bonus Knowledge in order of priority 01 = highest
- - Understanding of Search Engine Optimization, meta descriptions, keywords and how to optimize content to match optimal/valuable key search phrases page by page.
- - Understanding of Social Media & various cross-over applications to involve a website with LIKE buttons & activity feeds from Facebook, how to link Facebook accounts to Twitter etc.
- - Understanding of Drupal Content Management System websites, how to edit them and how to configure modules and various plug-ins.
- - Understanding of MailChimp eNewsletter interface, how to construct newsletter templates using on-line tools as well as fine tuning with Dreamweaver and editing code e.t.c